Monday, August 8, 2011

My 6 weeks in Korea

   Before any big test, I always study so that I know exactly what to expect. Korea definitely was no different in this respect. I saw it as the largest test in my life in which I would have to survive in a foreign country and try to actually belong here rather than remain a tourist. I researched for countless hours about traditional Korean families, table manners, city life, key phrases, courtesies, and anything under the sun. What I soon found out once I reached Korea, was that just about everything I had read and expected was wrong, and everything I thought I wouldn't have to worry about, I did. Culture shock isn't necessarily the right word for what I felt during these new experiences...the phrase is more like culture perplexed.  A book could never have told me that I'd get horribly lost in Myeongdong, have near-death experiences in cars, make a trip to the hospital, get caned by an old man for wearing a tank top, get mauled in a crowded subway, or be washed by old women in a jimjilbang. While these weren't necessarily pleasant, a book also couldn't have told me about the greatest moments of my life either. Just a few were a trip to Lotte World with an unexpected bunch, a date with a Sogang student, many hugs from every lifeguard at a local pool, my first jimjilbang, living for a night in a traditional village, and experiencing Namsan tower by putting a lock on it with my host family. As you can see, I had some low moments, but for every one of these, I had an even greater bunch of pleasurable moments. While both will remain with me, I will always see Korea as the sort of country I would love to spend my life in, and in many ways, America can learn from them. I love how respectful Korean people are of one another. While it makes feeling friendly a bit difficult, I love the honorifics put onto words to show respect. I also love how hospitable families are to guests. Some of my favorite dinners were spent at my host grandmothers who stuffed me until I was full and had me leave with goodies. The Korea I've seen in these short 6 weeks is extremely efficient, time conscious, studious, in-shape, and hard-working. While I've been here, it motivates me to become an even better student in school knowing that these sort of people will be my future competition in the job market. My time in Korea has definitley not scared me out majoring in international affairs, rather, it has strengthened my drive to do so because I now see all of the possibilities and adventures that lie before me. I'm embarrassed to say so, but myself and some other students were discussing how we would survive in Korea, and we all agreed that we're foreigners, so they would probably forgive us if we mess up. This was definitely true, but toward the middle of my trip, I realized that I didn't really want to be forgiven. I wanted to be treated like a Korean because I ultimately wanted to belong. I've gotten to experience things on my own that no mere tourist could see. By walking down creepy roads, I've found the best places and shops like a true local. By exploring and stepping off the paths described in travel books...I had the best times in my life. I no longer want to settle with merely surviving in Korea, but I want to eventually get to a point where I belong. Shopkeepers who speak to me in English love when I answer back in Korean (however broken it may be) and I love proving to them that I can be more than the average tourist. When I leave Korea on Sunday, I definitely don't think that it will be the last time I step foot in Korea. There are too many special memories and great friends that I'm leaving behind here. These short 6 weeks have left me wanting more, and 6 weeks just aren't enough. I met two internet celebrities that have been living here for 3 years, and they said they are never truly done learning, and never really felt like they weren't tourists until their 2nd year living in Korea. Whether it be through another program, studying abroad, or working here once I graduate; I will definitely be back. I didn't have a real W curve while I've been here, but my biggest low will be the moment I take off. I know I will cry and miss all the special moments I've shared with my new Korean and also my American friends here. Nothing in my life so far could top the amount I've learned so shortly, and the great times I've had. I thank NSLI-Y so much for giving me this opportunity and I sincerely wish that I had signed up for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment