Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Host Family Gifts!

Now that I have my host family, I need to start thinking about gifts! I've done some research on what we have here that is unavailable in Korea. I have also thought of some things that are unique to the United States and also unique to Pittsburgh that I can give them. I think I've finally succeeded in finding the perfect gifts to give my future Korean family, the Kwaks! Thinking of a gift for the father, Young-ku, was probably the hardest. Every site that I went on said to get the father alcohol of some sort; more specifically whiskey. This obviously isn't possible >.< so I had to brainstorm! I think that I will be presenting my host father with a calendar of American architecture and also a 3D puzzle of a famous American building (still have to choose which). I chose these gifts for him because he is an architect and I wanted to get him something he could enjoy. For my host mother, Min-ha, I am presenting her with some perfumes and possibly a knick knack (still to be decided). This is because the internet said that these were the most common gifts, and I don't want to be too crazy and out-of-the ordinary for my first days with them! My most exciting gift to her will be Pittsburgh-made maple syrup. I heard that syrup is EXTREMELY expensive in Korea, so I hope to make them French toast for a taste of what I normally eat for breakfast! For my 9-year-old host sister, Nae-young, I will be getting her a Pittsburgh snowglobe, and some Hershey's chocolate. For my host brother, Jae-hyeon, I will also give him some Hershey's chocolate, and either a Pittsburgh Pirates t-shirt, or a Heinz Ward shirt. Heinz Ward plays for the Steelers and is Korean. I heard he visits Korea often and is well-known there, so I hope that my host brother will appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment