Thursday, June 9, 2011

NSLI-Y is sending me to Korea!

I'll be traveling to Korea through NSLI-Y. Which stands for National Security Language Initiative for Youth. Here is there website to sign up for future programs just like these! http://www.nsliforyouth.org/nslicms-1.1/

Basically they work with the state department and iEarn in order to send us to Korea/wherever everyone else is going for absolutely free. The main purpose of the program I'll be attending is to promote the study of little-known languages that will be of great importance in the near future. Many months ago I had to spend over 6 hours filling out an online application in hopes of winning the scholarship. There were many great and worthy people that applied, but I was chosen to become a part of the semi-final group. From there, I had to get a physical and sign many more papers. Eventually I got word that I got and I was jumping up and down in excitement. I was actually at a Japanese Culture Convention when I heard news and had just gotten off stage from winning a talent show. It was a great day to say the least! I am so thankful for this opportunity awarded by them and it will be the experience of a lifetime! Myself and the 39 other participants in the Korean program will greatly enjoy this opportunity and will be using it to its full capabilities. As of now, I leave in 17 days and will be working really hard learning Korean up until then. Fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment