Friday, July 29, 2011

Official Mosquito Bite Count: 27

So I've still been getting eaten alive by mosquitos, but it seems like I'm the only one haha. My family has been Mosquito-spraying my room every night...but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. Yesterday I went with 준영 to guanhamoon (sp?) and it was really fun but sweltering hot. I saw statues of General Lee and his boat (and was explained the whole story behind him and why he's famous). He basically was a genius when it came to predicting weather and forming strategy. He made his boats to look like turtles after he saw one crawling past one day. It had a completely covered top, the top had spikes to prevent being boarded, they were made strong enough to fight off cannon fire, and the front of the boat had a dragon head to spit fire on the Japanese enemy. He won and became famous for his genius. I then saw a statue of King Sejong (sp?) who created Hangul and was a great ruler. There were also some astrology statues as well. We then went to the gates of a sort of fortress. The gates were guarded by traditional-looking guards and the fortress was backed by mountains. The Koreans believed that this was the best way to protect a city. Funny fact though: this fortress/wall was burned down three years ago by a man protesting against the government. I couldn't even tell though, because it was so beautiful. We got to go inside and see a demonstration of a sort of changing of the guards I suppose. It was really cool and the weaponry they had was like nothing I'd seen before. I was really tired from such a long and hot morning, but school was actually the best class I've had in Korea yet. The language is now starting to click. We're onto our third different teacher and this one is definitely the best. She knows a bit of English, so I can ask questions. She also knows Japanese...so when I mix up Korean and Japanese words, she knows what I was trying to say and corrects me :p I just went home yesterday and had dinner with my host grandparents at a restaurant. I had black bean noodles for the 4th time in Korea and supposedly that's pretty often because my host mom laughs at me every time I have them. Supposedly they're old-people food? I love their grandparents though because they always smile at me and feed me yummy things. They treat me the most like an adult than anyone here. They give me coffee (which is a real "adult" drink here) and just offer me adult food which is actually kind of icky but also flattering to be offered. Anyway, today I'm meeting Diane and people in Ewha and then headed out to Bucheon! I meet Simon and Martina at three and then Bucheon friends afterward! I'm excited and hope they bring Spudgy! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment